Tuesday, December 4, 2012

DIY Ornament Wreath

I love wreathes, and love making them! Today is a simple wreath that you can make to spruce up your home during the Christmas season. I started with a small styrofoam wreath form (from Michaels), 3 packages of multi-colored mini ornaments (Target), ribbon (bought a while ago from Wal-Mart), and silver tinsel (mine was from Target, but any retail store will have it). 

You can wrap your wreath in garland prior to adding the ornaments (for fill), however I did not do it that way. I wanted to change it up and add my own little flavor to the wreath while adding a common element. 

First, I took the ribbon and looped it around the wreath and hot glued it down, for hanging. 

Next, I started by hot gluing the ornaments in a random order to the wreath form, doing my best to leave the smallest gaps possible. I went all around the wreath form until it was completely covered in ornaments (I used 3 packages of the mini ornaments). 

After I had it covered, there were gaps to fill. I wanted some sparkle in these gaps, so this is where the tinsel came in. I started by placing the tinsel all around the outer portion of the wreath and hot gluing it down. I repeated the process for  the inner portion of the wreath. The I slowly began cutting 1-3 inch pieces of tinsel and placing it in the gaps on the wreath, adding a little bit of hot glue to hold it in its place. I liked this method best because I had control over how much tinsel is seen, and where. I used the entire length of the tinsel (a small mini tinsel pack from Target). 

Last I used three of the snowflake ornaments that came with the mini ornament pack, and glued them to the left side of the wreath. This added a last addition of sparkle, as well as a nice element for the eye! 

I love the end result!! 



No comments:

Post a Comment