Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Up-cycle a Can

This is a rather simple project, and I am sharing it to show my technique to get the paper and ribbon to size. All you need is a can (any size), ribbon, scrapbook paper, tape measure (I use a soft sewing one to get an accurate reading) and a hot glue gun. 


First I measure the height of the can and cut my scrapbook paper accordingly. I leave my paper at 12x12 length. 


Next I use my ATG and apply glue to the back of the paper. I carefully align the paper to the top lip of the can and slowly wrap it around pressing it firmly down.

I apply a small line of hot glue to the last strip of paper (any fast drying glue will work). This is easier than applying a large amount of glue with the ATG gun and trying to maneuver it without tearing the paper.


Now cut the ribbon to the length of the circumference of the can. (Make sure you use a lighter to stope the ends from fraying) I apply a small amount of glue to the tip of the ribbon and apply it to the area my paper ends at (I like keeping all the stopping points on the same side). I slowly add glue to the ribbon and wrap it around the can until it is done. I repeat this for the bottom ribbon. 




Now I have a custom can for my crafting supplies. You can also add labels to the front of the can with coordinating papers. Hope this post was helpful!!


No comments:

Post a Comment